Meal Days are a great part of the Better Body System, and having healthy, delicious recipes on hand can help you take full advantage of them. Today, we’re giving you three fresh Meal Day recipes to try!
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 pound ground turkey
1 yellow bell pepper
1 cup onion, diced
½ cup mozzarella, shredded
½ cup water
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 ½ tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break up meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Tomato Spinach Shrimp Pasta
2 tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. smoked paprika or more, to taste
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
6 oz. fresh spinach
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. whole-grain penne or spaghetti
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add shrimp, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and salt and cook on medium heat until shrimp is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh basil leaves, fresh spinach, and chopped garlic. Cook on medium heat about 3-5 minutes until spinach wilts just a little and tomatoes release some of their juice. Remove from heat and cover with a lid.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain pasta and add to the skillet with the tomatoes and spinach. Reheat on low heat, mix everything well, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add grilled shrimp back to the pasta and drizzle with a little olive oil just before serving.
Lemon Chicken and Veggies
6 tbsp. olive oil
2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced, 1 juiced
4 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¾ pound trimmed green beans
8 small red potatoes, quartered
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Coat a large baking dish with 1 tbsp. olive oil. On the bottom of your dish, arrange lemon slices in a single layer.
- Combine the remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add green beans and toss to coat. Place them in the baking dish on top of the lemon slices. Next, add the potatoes to the olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Arrange the potatoes over the green beans, along the inside edge of the dish. Last, coat the chicken in the oil mixture and place in your dish. Pour any remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken.
- Cook at 350 for 1 hour or until potatoes and veggies look soft and chicken is cooked through. Serve warm.