Being a servant-leader is a great way to help your entire team work toward success. Whether you’re familiar with the concept of servant-leadership or it’s a brand new idea to you, read on to learn how servant-leadership can help you reach your goals!
A servant-leader is someone who values the needs of their team as much as their own. According to Robert K. Greenleaf, who coined the term servant-leader in 1970, “The servant-leader is servant first. It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve. Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead…The difference manifests itself in the care taken by the servant-first to make sure that other people’s highest priority needs are being served.”
To break it down a little further, a servant-leader is someone who leads by example and puts their team members first. They focus on the needs of the people around them and allow that to be driving force behind everything they do!
Why It Matters
Being a servant-leader can have a great impact on your Yoli business. As the leader of your team, your success is directly tied to the success of your team members. By focusing on their needs and helping them reach their goals, your ability to function as a team will increase, and you’ll accomplish more than if you were working with only your own needs in mind. Once you embrace being a servant-leader, you’ll find your own goals much easier to reach!
How to Be a Servant-Leader
Not sure how to be a servant-leader? Try doing these things:
- Support every member of your team.
- Listen to what your team members have to say and work hard to address their concerns if you can.
- Celebrate and reward the milestones that your team members reach.
- Practice empathy and treat every person with kindness.
- Hold yourself accountable to your team members and commit to helping them reach their goals.
- Be trustworthy and ethical in all of your business endeavors and encourage your team to do the same.
- Give back to your community as much as possible.
- As your team members develop into leaders, teach them how to become servant-leaders themselves.
Being a servant-leader is a great way to lead your entire team to success. For more tips for reaching your goals, subscribe to the blog and check out our Facebook page!