We’re just a few days away from Thanksgiving, and while it’s traditionally a time of indulgence, having a few lighter side dishes can help you enjoy your meal without overdoing it. Here are three recipes for delicious and healthy Thanksgiving sides!
Garlic Smashed Baby Potatoes
- 1 lb. baby potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until the potatoes are softened (about 15-18 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes). Drain and pat the potatoes dry.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet (cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup). Toss the potatoes with garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and oil.
- Take a fork and carefully press down on each potato until the potato is flattened but still holds together.
- Space the potatoes on the baking sheet so they are not touching. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are crispy. Serve immediately.
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 7 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium-sized beets, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Melt the butter.
- In a large bowl, mix the carrots, sweet potatoes, and beets. Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme, and then pour in the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat.
- Spread the vegetables over the foil lined baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until tender and lightly caramelized on the outside, shaking the tray and tossing them around a couple of time to ensure even cooking.
Rosemary Sweet Potatoes and Mushrooms
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 12 ounces mushrooms, washed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush baking dish with olive oil. Whisk chicken broth, olive oil, and vinegar in a small bowl. Mix sweet potatoes, shallots, garlic, and rosemary in large bowl. Pour in half of broth mixture and toss, and then sprinkle with salt. Spread entire mixture on a baking sheet. Roast until potatoes begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, toss mushrooms with remaining broth mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then add mushrooms to the dish with the sweet potatoes. Return to oven; roast until potatoes and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes longer. Garnish with parsley.
We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. For more recipes and tips for transforming your life with the Better Body System, subscribe to the blog and check out our Facebook page!