This week, we’ve focused on how Yoli can help you improve your athletic performance and workout recovery. Today, we want to talk about another important part of fitness: stretching!
Benefits of Stretching
The most obvious benefit of stretching is improved flexibility. This in turn benefits your range-of-motion, which can enhance your athletic performance and reduce your risk of injury. Stretching also increases blood flow to your muscles and can help improve your balance and coordination, which is especially important for anyone who exercises. If stretching isn’t already a part of your workout routine, you should strongly consider make it one!
Stretching is great for your health, but it’s important to do it properly. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Contrary to what your gym teachers may have told you growing up, static stretching shouldn’t be done before a workout. Stretching cold muscles can lead to pain and may decrease the strength of your muscles during your workout. Instead, do a few dynamic warm-ups that correspond with the muscles you’ll use while exercising, such as a quick jog, a few lunges, or some arm circles, and save the static stretches for after your workout.
- Don’t bounce while you’re stretching. This can cause damage to your muscles. Keep your movements slow and smooth instead!
- Don’t push through the pain. Stretching shouldn’t be a painful endeavor, so if it hurts, that’s a sign that you’re pushing too hard and need to ease off. Bring your stretch back to where you don’t feel any pain, and let that be your stretching point.
- Stretch symmetrically. You don’t want to be flexible on just one side of your body! Make sure you pay equal attention to each side of your body so you get the most out of it.
- Stretch consistently for the best results!
Stretching is an important part of maintaining your fitness. For more tips for optimal health, subscribe to the blog and check out our Facebook page!