CURBING YOUR CRAVINGS
When trying to adjust your body to a healthier lifestyle, there may be more roadblocks than you expect. Cravings for old foods you used to indulge in can make it harder for you to make healthier choices. Today we’ll be talking about cravings and how to curb them.
When we get hungry, it can be easier to eat whatever we want. That’s just one of the reasons you’re recommended to have several smaller meals throughout the day in favor of just breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This could be as complicated as packing a meal-prepped collection of snacks, or just having a pack of almonds at your desk.
Along with snacking often, it’s important to drink enough water. When we’re dehydrated, our brains can sometimes confuse hunger and thirst. If you’re feeling hungry, drink a big glass of water and wait twenty minutes. If you’re still hungry after that, have a snack! The most important thing to listen to is your own body. If you’re hungry, you should eat.
EAT WHAT KEEPS YOU FULL
When eating throughout the day, it’s important to snack with purpose. What we mean by this, is that you should be snacking to satiate your hunger, not just because you’re bored. Because of this, it’s important to eat things that will fill you up and help you stay full. Things full of protein and healthy fats are a great option! For example, deli meats with avocado, string cheese and nuts, and celery and peanut butter are all great snack options. Keep things varied to avoid snack boredom.
At Yoli, we believe that your eating habits should be a lifestyle change—not a death sentence! That’s why we encourage you to have a free meal every once in a while. But, what do you do if you have a craving outside of that? Healthier substitutions are a great way to stay on track! Here are a few of our suggestions:
- Having a square or two of dark chocolate is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Some Greek yogurt brands have flavors that taste exactly like your favorite dessert! This is a great protein option for snacks
- A lot of foods can be made healthier by baking instead of frying. What can you make?
- If you’re wanting something fizzy, try mixing your favorite Yoli drink with seltzer water!
- Got a favorite recipe? Look into what ingredients could be swapped out for healthier ones. Then you can make it more often!
Ready for more recipe and nutrition tips? Subscribe to the blog and check out our Facebook page!